COVID-19

There isn't a clever title I can think of for this post but this along with some future ones will surround some of the constant things that have been running on my mind due to COVID-19.




We are in the midst of a pandemic and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding this virus.  COVID-19 has impacted the world and has brought most of us to our knees.  And yet, here I am amazed as I sit here and think how this is an enemy against human kind that does not discriminate.  A virus that have made some of the most powerful countries realize that they are not so invisible after all.  A virus that makes everyone realize that no matter how much technology and resources you may think you have - one can never be prepared for the actual event at all.




One feeling that I struggle with during this whole pandemic event is regret.  I'm currently practicing as a nurse practitioner but first and foremost, I will always be a nurse.  I've always made myself known as one and when I see patients in clinic and get mistaken as a doctor, I am quick to always correct them and ensure them that they know a nurse practitioner is seeing them.  I am proud of my nurse roots.  I am proud that our foundation as a nurse and the holistic care that our profession focuses on.  My role in this pandemic is not one that I am completely proud of as I feel like I could be doing MORE.  I should have went to NYC.  I should have been out there with my colleagues in those hospitals taking care of those patients who we're suffering.  Knowing that I have some skills that could've help in a crisis and that I didn't utilize them is something that I will probably be thinking about for a while.



But I guess what held me back was having a job that needed me and the uncertainty of the agency providing the appropriate if PPE if I went.  If I would have quit my job, I would not have been eligible for rehire and if I went without the appropriate PPE, I would have not put myself in that situation.  A lot of risks were involved but I wonder if I should've just followed my gut and just dive headfirst into that situation.  I guess now I'm just deciding if a second wave were to hit, should I make that leap and act upon what I'm feeling in my heart.



Luckily Florida was not hit in a way where we ever went into a crisis mode and we never felt this surge of patients that we were all anticipating.  This is a good thing as we are a community filled with elderly people, who are the most vulnerable.  But as we introduce the initial phases of opening the economy and slowly resume operations back to "normal" at the hospitals,  my heart is torn.  The fact is we can't stay closed forever--- from an economical standpoint, we need businesses to flourish but I also wonder if quarantine fatigue and the spread of statistics of "death rates improving" and cases slowing down is giving this nation a false sense of security.  I guess time will tell and hopefully the effects won't be detrimental.


To be continued... as my mind is always spewing out all these thoughts haha.



Comments